Pregnancy is a special stage of life for women. Nutrition plays a vital role, before, during, and after pregnancy to support the health of the mother and her child. Eating well throughout pregnancy is essential for several reasons:
- Increased calorie and nutrients intakes to support the growth and development of the baby.
- Fulfils the nutrient requirements to promote foetal immune system.
- Improve pregnancy outcomes and health outcomes for both the mother and child in subsequent life stages.
Dietary Tips for Mom-to-be
- Eat a wide variety of foods from whole grains, fruits, vegetables, protein and dairy to get a variety of nutrients you need.
- Small and frequent meals will be helpful to meet your nutrient requirements more easily.
- Limit foods with high sugar, salt and fat (e.g. sugary beverages, pastries, ice cream, chips, fast food)
- Limit drinks with caffeine and completely stop alcohol.
- Cook eggs, meat, seafood, vegetables thoroughly to minimise risk of food borne illnesses.
Important nutrients during pregnancy
*Folic acid and iron supplements are generally recommended in pregnancy.
Please seek medical advice from a health professional before taking any supplements.
Recommended weight gain
Weight gain is a natural part of pregnancy. Proper maternal weight gain is important for healthy foetal development and prevent pregnancy complications or long term health issues of both mother and child.